Mindful Monday: Is Your Mental Checklist Controlling You?
You know what - we have a lot more in common than we may realize.
For one thing, we've got a mind...
And sometimes this mind likes to chatter about random things. (Agreed?)
Including Mental Checklists. You know - that 'to do' list that runs through your head.
When you wake up in the morning is your mental checklist off and running before you even get out of bed?
Are nodding your head? No worries, I can relate.
It is called a 'mindfulness practice' not a 'mindfulness perfect' for a reason.
Well, if our checklist is running the show we will:
1. Never be present because as we are doing one task, we will be focused on ‘what’s next’.
2. Be stressed or preoccupied throughout our day.
3. Be unfulfilled because our day will feel like a huge checklist rather than meaningful moments.
What does mindfulness look like?
* Whenever you become aware the checklist is running in your head…STOP.
* Don’t - push it away, simply notice or acknowledge it.
* Let the checklist go or ‘flip it over’ in your mind.
* Place all of your focus on your breath.
* Take 3 mindful breaths.
* Observe the breath as you inhale and as you exhale.
* Bring your focus back to what you are doing in that moment.
Do want to try this with me this week? I'm game if you are.
Let the mindfulness begin!
To your peace + well-being,